Thursday, September 17, 2015

Feeling the Need for Better Professional Development? Get Out!

Sounds harsh, doesn't it?

No, I don't mean get out of the profession... However, haven't we all sat through a PD session that was either mandated or just simply something that didn't meet your needs? You get sleepy, grumpy and various other versions of the 7 dwarfs. 

That is because you are not challenging yourselves or being challenged by others. 

Sound familiar?  We make this argument when talking about our students. 

Am I challenging them enough?
Why aren't they engaged?
How else could I present this?

We need to start thinking about our own education in this way. With the surge of social media sites like Twitter, Google+, Instagram and Facebook being used by teachers, we are connected like never before. We no longer have to rely on the local university or our own districts for our PD. 

So, when I say "Get Out!", I mean it. 

Get out of your building.

Get out of your area.

Get out of your comfort zone.

It is time to hear what is happening in education from our growing and vocal educator community. 

"Getting out" has not only changed how I view quality professional development and how I collaborate but it has totally changed me as a teacher. 

I now understand what kind of learner I truly am and how to foster that within myself. 

So... do you need to get out?

Well, lucky for you it's EdCamp season!  The perfect time for you to get out and hear from some amazing educators and realize your voice is so important to the future of our profession.

#edcamp302



EdCamps and PlayDates are free and put on for teachers by teachers. You are the focus and an essential part of the learning day. 

I encourage you to find one of these great PD sessions in your area and encourage your educator-friends to travel with you. 
My PLN representing at #SAMRiCamp

#Playdate Chicago

Explain to them how cool it will be to play with the coolest ed tools!




Tell your friends how amazing it will be to bring this new learning back to your students!


Be careful though... you might even have a lot of fun! 

Rocking our Faux Google Glass at the EdCamp After Party

Chicago area friends, I highly encourage you to check out the amazing FREE PD opportunities that are heading our way. 

EdCamp Illinois

Saturday, September 19th, 2015

Maple School
Northbrook, Il


EdCamp Chicago
(I'll be there! Let's Tweet Up!)

EdCamp Chicago Fall Edition

Libertyville High School

Saturday, September 26, 2015



 SAMRi Camp
(One of my Favorites! You will definately see me there.)

Details Coming Soon

Downer's Grove

Saturday, January 16th, 2016



Please tell me... Where do you go when you need to Get Out?

No comments:

Post a Comment